Re: How to include information about a source package ?

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 06:02:26PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> > DevRef suggests README.Debian-source for information about how a
> > nonpristine sourceball is repacked; you could use that, or borrow the
> > naming convention.
>
> That seems like a reasonable naming convention; however, on a different
> topic in reaction to your post, wouldn't information about how a
> non-pristine sourceball is repacked belong in debian/copyright?  That's
> certainly where I've always put it.
  http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-repackagedorigtargz

I think ./debian/copyright is relevant, and for saods9 I have made
mention in both places.  I feel that it should be a machine readable
copy, too, even if the comments are extra-descriptive.  But this is
kind of a PITA to do in practice, *especially* for a sponsored upload.
The instructions for a sponsor would look like:

  . open the .diff.gz in vim
  . cut out the README.Debian-source and get rid of the prefixing +'s
    (and perhaps ./debian/rules too)
  . mkdir debian
  . mv README.Debian-source ./debian/
  . chmod 755 ./debian/*
  . ./debian/rules get-orig-source
  . mv -iv ./newsource/saods9_*.orig.tar.gz ../
  . mv -iv saods9_*.diff.gz ../
  . tar xzf ../saods9_*.orig.tar.gz
  . zcat ../saods9_*.diff.gz |patch -p1

which is about 10 items more than anyone sponsoring the pacakge will
want to deal with.  I tried to include that in the
README.Debian-source, but have given up for now.

(I'm using a very liberal interpretation of footnote 6 and cvs co a
fortran version of an included library, the C implementation of which
is "obfuscated GPL").  So a diff between the upstream tarball and my
orig won't show just the otherwise-expected "diff: Only in a: b".

Justin