Re: Doing RFS on -mentors

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Panu Kalliokoski wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > And do whatever needs to be done so a .diff.gz shows up in my browser,
> > rather than making me download it :)
> > More seriously, this brings me to a practical reason to use non native
> > packages (and of course pristine, where possible).  These are not just
> > theoretical things, but actively make things more difficult for me.
>
> That's a good point. Actually, the only thing that still troubles me
> with these rationales is that they apply equally well to Debian
> specific packages. IOW, to ease peer review and NMU'ing, _every_
> package should be non-native, with no exception.

The reason why they don't apply so well is that the debian native
packages which are properly debian native do not have revisions that
only change the packaging information; each version is a new upstream
revision. [You can think of them (somewhat imprecisely, but whatever)
as non-native packages with a null diff.gz if that helps...]

Don Armstrong

--
If I had a letter, sealed it in a locked vault and hid the vault
somewhere in New York. Then told you to read the letter, thats not