Re: RFS: gaupol -- Subtitle editor for text-based subtitle files

Paul Wise (pabs3@bonedaddy.net):
> Thanks for packaging this. BTW, once it is uploaded, check out the
> popcon results for the package:
>
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?popcon=gaupol

Now package is listed only in unknown section [1] (2 users have it)

[1] http://popcon.debian.org/unknown/by_inst.gz

> Most importantly, register on sponsors.debian.net so it isn't lost.

I registered a weeks ago but... I didn't receive confirmation mail yet (sic!)
I have even send a bug report to neilm@debian.org, but no reply till today :(

> Some comments/questions:
>
>       * The default version of python in debian is 2.3 (this is changing
>         soon). You should always use the default version unless your
>         package won't work with the default version, otherwise python
>         transitions will take longer.

gaupol _requires_ python v2.4, it wont work on v2.3
BTW: if I use python 2.4 in Build-Depends-Indep, it wont build on pbuilder
(thats why I have both "python" and "python2.4-dev" in this field)

>       * Why did you file an extra ITP when there was already one? You
>         should have pinged the bug and changed its owner if there was no
>         response. Did you contact the submitter of #345899 to see if
>         s/he is still intending to package gaupol (it is only a couple
>         of months older)?

Believe me, I was searching for it in reportbug but i missed it. Now I know
that I should use google, reportbug is not good enough for searching bugs.

RFP and my ITP are now merged

>       * debian/copyright: needs to contain the copyright statement from
>         the upstream copyright holders (all of them). Use grep and mc to
>         find them all. for eg:
>         Copyright 2005 Jane Doe
>         Copyright 2006 John Doe

Hmm, can you write an example?
I tried `grep -ir copyright [^COPYING]*| grep -v Salomaa`
and it seems that Osmo Salomaa is the only author.
I'm not counting translation, in ca.po it says:
"Copyright (C) 2006 THE gaupol'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER"
so I think there is no need to add extra information in debian/copyright

>       * debian/copyright: you forgot to add the licence statement in
>         full. specifically, you missed out the warranty disclaimer and
>         the how to get the GPL bit.

You mean:
>On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License
>can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.
(quote from debian/copyright file)?

>       * debian/control: you should use the output of dh_python to add
>         python depends.

Since gaupol requires python 2.4, I had to fill depends field by myself
 (see above). It builds in pbuilider.

>       * debian/control: add extra space before Homepage - see devref
>         6.2.4

I missed that space, I have to correct my griffith package as well...

>       * debian/control: I'd suggest mentioning some of the other
>         features from the upstream website - translation and spell-check
>         are important to mention IMO.

See discussion here [2], spell-check is now not possible using just debian
official packages (PyEnchant package is not available).

>       * debian/gaupol.1: typo in DESCRIPTION: command not commands

It was generated by dh_make, but I still think it is correct (there are more
than one command: '-h', '-t', ...)

>       * debian/docs: you might want to distribute po/ChangeLog and maybe
>         po/README.translators

I will add them

>       * debian/rules: shouldn't you be running setup.py clean in the
>         clean target?

It is doing nothing, should I add it?

>       * Don't forget to build in pbuilder, test with puiparts, lintian
>         and linda and once it is uploaded add tags to the debtags[1]
>         database.

It builds in pbuilder and it is lintian/linda clean (see my previous mails)

`apt-cache search puiparts` and `apt-file search bin/puiparts`
 returns no result, can you write more about it?

Thank you very much for your reply!
--
-=[     Piotr Ozarowski     ]=-
-=[ http://www.ozarowski.pl ]=-