Re: /etc/conf not installed

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:56:44PM +0100, Gerber van der Graaf wrote:
> I am trying to repair the libgpiv package I've build. The
> libgpiv_0.3.2-1_i386.deb contains a configuration file /etc/gpiv.conf,
> as reported by dpkg -c. Extracting the .deb to tmpdir/ (with dpkg -x)
> gives tmpdir/etc/gpiv.conf, as expected. However, dpkg --install .deb or
> installing with: "apt-get install libgpiv" (after uploading in a local
> repository) does not install this file. On the other
> side, /usr/lib/libgpiv.so
libgpiv should not include a development symlink *.so, but rather
*.so.*; libgpiv-dev should include that symlink.  Also libgpiv should
have some number in its name, indicating the library soversion.

> is perfectly installed. The gpiv.conf file is
> pointed by debian/libgpiv.files. I also tried to include it in
> debian/conffiles
Recent debhelpers (v3 and later) add to the conffiles list every file
included in the .deb which is in /etc/ (but obviously not stuff
created by maintainer scripts, which are not "conffiles" but more
general "configuration files").

> , in order to warn in case of an upgrade. Can somebody
> give me a hint where I have to look at or to search for in order to
> repair this bug? Thanks, Gerber
You probably have to purge the package and then reinstall it.  Removal
of a conffile is preserved across upgrades, since the behaviour of
some packages might be influenced by the mere existence of some files.
This is done automatically by dpkg for conffiles, and is a policy
violation (I guess) for generalized configuration files.

FYI dpkg is probably tracking that the conffile was once installed and
not since purged with /var/lib/dpkg/status.

Justin