Naming conventions for mingw32 packages?

Dear Debian Mentors,

Some time ago I noticed the mingw32 cross crompiler of Debian, namely
the packages:

    mingw32
    mingw32-binutils
    mingw32-runtime

They saved a lot of work for me, so I decided to help to improve it.
Since I'm relatively new to Debian packaging, I need some advice.

First of all, the mingw-* packages are quite big and I don't think
this is really "debianistic". Splitting them up into smaller pieces
for each compiler, etc., could be more desirable, especially for
those who need just a gcc, no g++ etc.

For example, the unofficial Debian packages at http://debian.speedblue.org/
are split this way:

    mingw32
    mingw32-binutils
    mingw32-runtime
    mingw32-w32api
    mingw32-g++
    mingw32-g77
    mingw32-gcj
    mingw32-gobjc

Is there any good reason to produce such big monolithic packages instead
of smaller chunks?

------------------------

I'd like to create some more mingw32 packages - the development libraries,
i.e. mingw32 ports of zlib, libpng, and virtually any other package of
the GnuWin32 project (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net). I also plan to
cross compile libSDL, libSDL_mixer, etc. for Debian.

So here are my questions.
Should I produce one big package, such as

    mingw32-libs

or

    mingw32-sdl
    mingw32-gnuwin32

or should I produce smaller packages, such as

    mingw32-zlib
    mingw32-libpng
    mingw32-libsdl
    mingw32-libsmpeg
    mingw32-libsdl_mixer

??
Personally, I like the smaller packages more than the big ones. If I do
so, how exactly should they be named?
Probably it's a good idea to use the usual names for development
libraries, prefixed with "mingw32-":

    mingw32-libsdl1.2-dev
    mingw32-libsmpeg-dev

On the other hand one could get even closer to the original names:

    libsdl1.2-mingw32-dev
    libsmpeg-mingw32-dev

I'd prefer the first one, but what's your opinion?

Greets,

    Volker

--
Volker Grabsch