Re: RFS: b5

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 07:55:35PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > However there is a reason, it is political, it is
> > > relevant -- it convinced me anyhow :) I also initially
> > > produced a native package.
> >
> > Thank you for this explanation.  Although I still have some issues with
> > it, it seems I should build infrastructure for building source packages.
> > (Earlier, one just needed dpkg-source -b; now it seems there must be
> > some script or makefile target to construct a fake .orig directory and
> > then build the source with that.)  It feels funny that I have to make a
> > dummy "pristine" source for the Debian project while I've been releasing
> > the "debian-specific" source outside Debian for ages.
> The .orig *directory* is a temporary artifact created, used, and
> removed by dh_make for initial packaging only; you don't need it.  All
> you need to have a nonnative package is to have a
> ../$package_$version.orig.tar.gz.  The problem is that it is often
> misnamed.

Actually, the .orig directory is a working dir for dpkg-source, and
doesn't have so much to do with dh_make (it's just that dh_make uses
dpkg-source too). For a non-native source package, you'll need an
'upstream' release and of course still your source tree with all
packaging. You can use dpkg-source -su to create an orig source tarball.
You'll then need to have both $pkg-$ver/ and $pkg-$ver.orig/
directories, the latter being the same as the former except for
packaging files (typically, the debian/ directory). "dpkg-source -su
$pkg-$ver $pkg-$ver.orig" will then create your source file.

Basicly, you're actually working with two hats, one of the 'upstream'
maintainer creating software for any linux distribution (and only
including stuff relevant for that), and one of the package maintainer,
including packaging stuff.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar