Re: Native package or not?

On 12 Feb 2006, Joey Hess uttered the following:

> Bernhard R. Link wrote:
>> The general suggestion is to not include the debian/ directory in
>> the release tarball. The reason is that by the format of the Debian
>> source packages no files can be removed by another person's
>> .diff.gz and some tools like debhelper act on (non)existance of
>> specific files.
>
> patch is capable of deleting files and even subdirectories when the
> diff shows that all the lines in a file are removed. The only
> limitation I know of is that a patch cannot represent the deletion
> of an empty file, and it cannot represent removing all lines in a
> file while leaving it empty.

        This is interesting. When I remove a file completely from
 ./debian, as I do in the case of fvwm,  diff says "ignoring deletion
 of files ...". So, if I had instead just truncaterd the file, it
 would be removed from the unpacked tree, while remaining as a zero
 byte file in my SCM, but removing it from my SCM means it remains in
 the tree after dpkg-source -x.

        ironic, I think.

        manoj
--
Depart not from the path which fate has assigned you.