Native package or not?

Hi all

I'm author of few programs, that I want to include in Debian. Keeping
debian directory inside sources and release tarball seems as logical
step to me because related changes to debian directory will be in
same changeset as changes in software.

However I'm not sure whether to create native package or not. For now I
prefer native packages. But several times (I think it was even on this
list) I saw that it might not be good idea, but without any arguments
which would convince me about it and I also was not able to google any
relevant information (maybe I just ask wrong questions...). What is best
practice for packaging own software?

Thanks for hints.

--
    Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com