Re: Native package or not?

Hi Michal!

On 2/12/06, Michal Čihař <michal@cihar.com> wrote:
> However I'm not sure whether to create native package or not. For now I
> prefer native packages. But several times (I think it was even on this
> list) I saw that it might not be good idea, but without any arguments
> which would convince me about it and I also was not able to google any
> relevant information (maybe I just ask wrong questions...). What is best
> practice for packaging own software?

If your programs are related with Debian, so yes, you could create
native packages.
Otherwise not.
Even if your diff.gz file stay with 0 bytes after generating the
package, it's good to not create them native. If, for example, your
package has 1 MB. It's created as being native. If someone will do a
NMU of it, just making a minor change, they will have to upload the
full package (1 MB), instead just a diff file.

In short. If your package is for Debian, create it native. If not, don't.
There may be some exceptions about that, but in your case, I would
create them not native.

Best regards,
Nelson