Re: Request for mentor

Hello Ale.

No disrespect to Martin, but a specific Debian mentor
would benefit you.  Giacomo Catenazzi is my Debian
mentor, with contributions from Martin Pitt and Enrico
Zini.  A list is not a mentor.  You need a mentor.

The list does not assign mentors.  It is up to you to
find one.

The experience of a volunteer project like Debian is
that for DDs to seek random volunteers leads to bad
results.  The initiative must come from you.  There are
many hidden opportunities.  For example, there is an
opportunity right now with my own package Debram for a
person with the right interest, attitude, patience and
skill to contribute.  But you have to search the
opportunities out, to show the DD in question over a
period of time that it is worth his time to mentor you.
This is not because we don't like volunteers---we love
volunteers---but because past experience is that
something like 95 percent of enthusiastic new volunteers
soon flame out and disappear.  That is wreckage we can't
handle.

If you think that you are one of the 5 percent, then be
patient, study some package interesting to you where the
Maintainer seems to want help, prepare a small patch or
two, and gradually see if you cannot work your way into
the Project.  If you do not know which package to look
at first---well, I just suggested one, didn't I?  Start
there.  Debian development is a lot of fun.  If you
choose to stay the course, we'll be glad to have you
aboard.

Good luck.  Andreas Schuldei's 2005 DPL platform [1] is
useful further reading in the matter.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road

[1] http://www.debian.org/vote/2005/platforms/andreas

[As a courtesy, this mail is copied to those whom it
names.  They are not expected to reply or even to read
the mail.]