Re: Custom Debian Installer

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 05:03:31PM -0500, Derek Wueppelmann wrote:
> I've been trying to find out if there is a way to use the debian
> installer to create a CD which can be used to install a preselected list
> of packages onto different types of systems? Even just modifying the
> installer so that it will automatically select a customized task (debian
> dummy package) would be good.

Yes; http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s07.html.en should
help you out here. Note the link to the commented preseed file example,
and search for 'tasksel'.

> Can someone point me in the right direction? I've been tyring to fumble
> my way around the debian-installer source.. but it's a little confusing,
> and I have a feeling running through the makefile to make sense of
> things will take quite a while.

If you mean the debian-installer source package, that's really just the
d-i build system. For actual content you really need to know which
package is responsible for the particular bit of the installation you're
interested in, which can be something of a bootstrapping problem for
those new to the code. Section 6 of the manual above can be helpful.

Cheers,