Re: RFS: LiE computer algebra for Lie groups

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 12:32:06AM +0100, Kasper Peeters wrote:
> > Once you make these changes, repost your sponsor request.
>
> I have made all the changes you mentioned in your two previous
> emails. New files are at
>
>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~peekas/debian/

Please post the complete URL to your .dsc file, it's easier for
potential sponsors to grab it.

FWIW: Dear DD's, pending minor comments below, I believe this package
is close to ready for sponsorhip.

> There's only one warning left when running lintian on the package:
>
>   W: lie: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
>
> What am I supposed to do with this?

Your description:
 lie        - A computer algebra package for Lie group computations.

Dev-ref says:

 It's a good idea to think of the synopsis as an appositive clause,
 not a full sentence. An appositive clause is defined in WordNet as a
 grammatical relation between a word and a noun phrase that follows,
 e.g., "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer". The appositive clause here is
 "red-nosed reindeer". Since the synopsis is a clause, rather than a
 full sentence, we recommend that it neither start with a capital nor
 end with a full stop (period). It should also not begin with an
 article, either definite ("the") or indefinite ("a" or "an").

 It might help to imagine that the _synopsis_ is combined with the
 _package name_ in the following way:

    _package-name_ is a _synopsis_

So, I suggest something like

lie - computer algebra package for Lie group computations

note no 'A' and no final '.'

When running lintian, do it over the .changes file, so it gets to
check the source package too. That way, I also get:

W: lie source: dh-make-template-in-source debian/manpage.1.ex

which is a debhelper example file you missed.

It's better if the manpage you wrote is put inside the debian
dir. That way is clearer to anyone getting the source package it was
added for debian.

The information you give in the new README adds nothing to the package
description and copyright. I suggest you simply ship no README. In any
case, don't rename it in the source package to INSTALL, that's a
gratuituous modification of the source package that only adds in size
to the diff.

Also:
Your debian/dirs contains usr/sbin, which is unneeded, since you ship
it empty. Take it out. Better yet, take the whole file out, as you do
not need to ship any dir that's not created by your install.

And, a final comment, please give some license statement concerning
the packaging itself, in the copyright file.

--
Rodrigo Gallardo
GPG-Fingerprint: 7C81 E60C 442E 8FBC D975  2F49 0199 8318 ADC9 BC28

Billboard billboard burning bright / in my windshield every night.
Lead me to a decent joint / where I can stop and get a bite.