Re: RFC: AKFQuiz

Am Sonntag, dem 26. Nov 2006 schrieb George Danchev:

> Anyway, I can do some test for you,
> when I have the time to do so and if the debootstrap'ed system
> is still not a feasible option for you.

That would be nice. Thank you.

I'll have a look at debootstrap.
But downloading a full system is really a problem for me.
Even if it's just the base.

> > May I ask you, or somebody here to build it for me?
> > ...when it is time to do that.
>
> Sure, I'm using Sid and here is a mild compile issue:
[...]
> qmsgs.pas: In procedure `useSystemLanguage':
> qmsgs.pas:670: error: reference expected, value given

Urks!
That's one of the sad things of GPC -
the changes often break old code. :-(
And this change really seems strange.

> Seems to be easy to fix, though...

I've hopefully fixed that one. Could you please try to compile it again?
If there are more incompatiblities of that kind, I'll rather go with FPC.
I have deliberately kept my code compatible with both compilers.

I chose GPC for the Debian package, because I thought that is more
portable... but it has other problems as you have seen.

> I'd go for Suggests: , since Recommneds: it too strong dependency relationship
> for that case.
>
> > Is that okay that way?
> > I've successfully tested it with apache and boa.
> > The server thttpd did not work.
>
> I'd also explicitely mention in Suggests: field the webserver packages which
> can work with it, instead of the virtual package of httpd.

Done.
But it should run with any webserver, that is reasonably compatible with
the CGI/1.1 specification - but thttpd isn't.
Are there other webservers I should try?

> > Maybe it would be better to make multiple packages from the source tree.
> > But I'd need help for that. The New Maintainers' Guide doesn't teach
> > that... Where can I read about it?
>
> Install dh-make package and read dh_make(8) -- it can create multiple binary
> class package for you. Here is an example:
>
> @sid:$ mkdir akfquiz-4.4.0
> @sid:$ cd akfquiz-4.4.0/
> @sid:$ dh_make -f ../akfquiz_4.4.0.orig.tar.gz
>
> Type of package: single binary, multiple binary, library, kernel module or
> cdbs?
>  [s/m/l/k/b]

Yes, that much is also explained in the New Maintainers' Guide, but it
warns newbies (which I am) to use it.
Okay... I'm going to experiment with it...
Next week.

Thanks to all who have helped me so far!

--
AKFoerster