Re: Linking with --as-needed in Debian Packages (Was: Re: RFS: flamerobin (updated package))

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 12:07:52PM -0600, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 14:31 +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> >    * Added --as-needed to LDFLAGS to avoid unnecessary NEEDED entries.
> >      Thanks to Christian 'Greek0' Aichinger.

> Is the use of --as-needed encouraged/discouraged in Debian? Is there a
> reason this isn't used system-wide? (I'm aware some packages have
> issues, but those can and should be addressed individually.)

Because --as-needed is an ass-backwards solution to the problem, which
introduces other problems of its own that *no*, are not bugs in individual
packages that "can and should be addressed individually."  --as-needed will
always get the answer wrong in certain cases, because it's a heuristic.