Re: main or contrib?

Le Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:25:31PM +0200, Bas Wijnen a écrit :
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 10:58:37PM +0400, Al Nikolov wrote:
> > Hello, all mentors!
> >
> > Please clarify for me, in which section should go a GPL-licensed package,
> > which is quite unusable without (but technically not Depends on), er,
> > obscure blobs of data, usually gathered by a way of sniffing data flow
> > between a proprietary application and a hardware device, and then just
> > repeated as is?
>
> Sounds like "contrib" to me.  Packages in "main" should be free in that they
> can be used and changed without (much) limitations.  Technically that means
> The source must be free, and also all dependencies and build-dependencies must
> be free.  While technically those blobs of data aren't in "non-free", they
> surely are non-free, and should be treated as a non-free dependency IMO.

Hi all,

from the policy:

2.2.2 The contrib category

Every package in contrib must comply with the DFSG.

In addition, the packages in contrib

    * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
    * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

Examples of packages which would be included in contrib are:

    * free packages which require contrib, non-free packages or packages which
      are not in our archive at all for compilation or execution, and
    * wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free programs.

I am therefore wondering wether this does not disallow the upload of a package
whose "Depends" or "Recommends" are not satisfied, be it in main, contrib, or
non-free (as it "must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual").

Do you think that you can write a wrapper for your "blobs", or is it illegal to
distribute them ?

Maybe an exaple to follow (or not) are the emulators which are useless without
proprietary ROMs. Are they distributed by Debian?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org