Re: RFS: libvrb -- Virtual Ring Buffer library

James Westby wrote:
> On (26/09/06 22:09), Székelyi Szabolcs wrote:
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libvrb". This is an update to
>> the (so far unsponsored) previous version 0.5.1-1.
>>

> Hi, I cannot sponsor, but I have a few comments for you.

First of all, thanks for your time to investigate the package.

>   * The dev-ref recommends indenting the Homepage: pseudo-field by two
>     spaces.

Because of word-wrapping... Thanks. Done.

>   * Do you need Replaces: libvrb-dev as well?

I have seen similar (ie. development) packages with and others without
this. Do I?

>   * Please move away from using ${Source-Version} in debian/control
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/09/msg00228.html

Understood. Done.

>   * Drop the blank line from libvrb0-dev.install

Done.

>   * You don't need a - in front of rm -rf as it wont fail if the dir is
>     not present.

Although it did no harm, the source package is one byte smaller now. ;)
Done.

>   * Why are you not using the configure target? Your current setup makes
>     cross-compiling harder, and making a debug version of the package
>     difficult as well.

Policy does not mention the configure target, which means to me that the
autobuilders don't use it. Instead,

"The build target should perform all the configuration and compilation
of the package."

Could you explain (or point to RTFM) how a configure target would be useful?

>   * Please add a watch file.

Done.

>   * Lintian gives a few
>       I: vbuf: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/vbuf.1.gz:66
>     that you might like to fix.

Actually there was an error in the man page. Thanks for spotting. Done.

Thanks again for your helpful comments. I will upload a new version if
questions left open in this mail are discussed.

Have a nice day,
- --
Szabolcs