Re: RFS: filezilla - Port of the famous Win32 graphical FTP client

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 02:34:50 +0200
Nacho Barrientos Arias <chipi@criptonita.com> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 20:27:59 +0200
> "Adam Cécile (Le_Vert)" <gandalf@le-vert.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Adam,
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "filezilla".
>
> I recently build your Filezilla package using the provided sources.
>
> I got a curious surprise when I executed it. This marvelous surprise
> was that, the first I saw was an emergent window saying (as well as
> other stuff):
>
> --- snip ---
>
> - DO NOT post bugreports.
> [...]
> - DO NOT distribute it.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Do you think this announcement is suitable for a Debian system?

  The complete message (why taking two lines out of context?) is:

,----
| Important information
|
| This software is still alpha software in early development, don't expect
| anything to work
| DO NOT post bugreports,
| DO NOT use it in production environments,
| DO NOT distribute it,
| DO NOT complain about it
| USE AT OWN RISK
`----

  You can parse this two ways:
  a) this is just a big warning notice the authors want to make clear to
users and redistributors about software unstability/usability
  b) this is part of the license

  Nothing relevant points this text is part or excerpt of the license.
  License is clearly GPL/MIT, as stated on source code, so displaying
such nag screen, while annoying or unsuitable does not affect legality.

  The not posting bugreports (to upstream) doesn't prevent users to report
it to BTS, just prevents Adam to forward it upstream. If he's happy dealing
with those by himself, that's his choice. Maybe the text should be extended
(i.e.: "DO NOT post bugreports to the original authors") for Debian.

  Anyway, I'd like to read some comments from others before uploading, of
course.

  best regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones