Re: RFS: spcaview

Sending the message to the right ml....

In addiction, you have modified upstream code (Makefile) without using
a patch-system. That's bad :)

As James point out, you should use wnpp before start creating a package.

Check if someone is requested that software, filling a RFP (Request
For Package): you can check from this page
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/rfp . If it is so, then rename that
bug in an ITP (Intent To Package); give a look here on how to do it:

Before packaging a tool, check that it's not already in the archive,
or that someone is already working on, checking
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/itp .

When you're working on a new package, close the ITP bug in the
changelog, so that when the package will be uploaded in the archive,
the bug will be automatically closed.

On 9/20/06, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "spcaview".

Hi Luca,
some simple notes:

* debian/changelog
  - maybe you can delete the line "* This is my first Debian package"
it is nothing related tho this package.. :)

* debian/control
  - in the long description, you should separate paragraph with a dot ".":

 spcaview is a  webcam viewer written in C. It's easy  to use and have
 many features,  such record video, audio, capture  images, stream and
 many more.
 With  this  package you  also  have  spcaserv,  that's a  multithread
 streaming server over TCP.
 And, finally, you have spcacat, a simple picture grabber.

(with a little reformat) but you can merge the last to parag into:

 With  this  package you  also  have  spcaserv,  that's a  multithread
 streaming server over TCP and spcacat, a simple picture grabber.

  - add Homepage meta-tag as stated in developers reference 6.2.4

* debian/copyright
  - I'd like to see a more complete file; take a look at these message:

  - Please check _every_ file in the package: for example
./SDL_audioin_internal.h has

 *   Copyright (C) 2004 by Tyler Montbriand                                *
 *   tsm@accesscomm.ca                                                     *
 *   Released under the GNU LGPL                                           *

you have to mention all this file, with their relative license, in
debian/copyright. Other files with different copyright are:
./shc.{c,h}, ./avilib.c, ./readme.avilib, ./dpsh.{c,h},
./http-java-applet/JWebcamPlayer.java, ./SDL_audioin.h,
./audioin_devdsp.c, ./shclib.{c,h}, ./audio_detect.h .

To find them use find . -exec less {} \; tedious but complete...

* debian/watch
  - remove all commented out lines, leave only version and url; the
url should be corrected (somehow):

$ uscan --report --verbose
-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
-- Found the following matching hrefs:
Newest version on remote site is 20051212, local version is 1.1.5
 => Newer version available from
-- Scan finished

* debian/rules
  - remove template header
  - remove commented dh_ tools call in binary-common target

* misc stuff
  - lintian warning: you have to provide a (minimal) manpage for every
program in the package:

W: spcaview: binary-without-manpage spcacat
W: spcaview: binary-without-manpage spcaserv

  - what are these files: spcaview-doc.{docs,install} ? would you like
to create a separate doc  package ?

  - why did you leave files {pre,post}{inst,rm} ? they are empy, so
you can remove them

I think for the first review this is enought... :)

Good luck in finding a sponsor (I'm not a DD, so cant upload)

Kind Regards,

Sandro Tosi (aka Morpheus, matrixhasu)
My (little) site: http://matrixhasu.altervista.org/