Re: RFS: spcaview

Sending the message to the right ml....

In addiction, you have modified upstream code (Makefile) without using
a patch-system. That's bad :)

As James point out, you should use wnpp before start creating a package.

Check if someone is requested that software, filling a RFP (Request
For Package): you can check from this page
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/rfp . If it is so, then rename that
bug in an ITP (Intent To Package); give a look here on how to do it:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

Before packaging a tool, check that it's not already in the archive,
or that someone is already working on, checking
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/itp .

When you're working on a new package, close the ITP bug in the
changelog, so that when the package will be uploaded in the archive,
the bug will be automatically closed.

Regards,
Sandro

On 9/20/06, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "spcaview".

Hi Luca,
some simple notes:

* debian/changelog
  - maybe you can delete the line "* This is my first Debian package"
it is nothing related tho this package.. :)

* debian/control
  - in the long description, you should separate paragraph with a dot ".":

 spcaview is a  webcam viewer written in C. It's easy  to use and have
 many features,  such record video, audio, capture  images, stream and
 many more.
 .
 With  this  package you  also  have  spcaserv,  that's a  multithread
 streaming server over TCP.
 .
 And, finally, you have spcacat, a simple picture grabber.

(with a little reformat) but you can merge the last to parag into:

 With  this  package you  also  have  spcaserv,  that's a  multithread
 streaming server over TCP and spcacat, a simple picture grabber.

  - add Homepage meta-tag as stated in developers reference 6.2.4

* debian/copyright
  - I'd like to see a more complete file; take a look at these message:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/12/msg00007.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

  - Please check _every_ file in the package: for example
./SDL_audioin_internal.h has

 *   Copyright (C) 2004 by Tyler Montbriand                                *
 *   tsm@accesscomm.ca                                                     *
 *   Released under the GNU LGPL                                           *

you have to mention all this file, with their relative license, in
debian/copyright. Other files with different copyright are:
./shc.{c,h}, ./avilib.c, ./readme.avilib, ./dpsh.{c,h},
./http-java-applet/JWebcamPlayer.java, ./SDL_audioin.h,
./audioin_devdsp.c, ./shclib.{c,h}, ./audio_detect.h .

To find them use find . -exec less {} \; tedious but complete...

* debian/watch
  - remove all commented out lines, leave only version and url; the
url should be corrected (somehow):

$ uscan --report --verbose
-- Scanning for watchfiles in .
-- Found watchfile in ./debian
-- In debian/watch, processing watchfile line:
   http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/spcaview-(.*)\.tar\.gz
-- Found the following matching hrefs:
     spcaview-20051212.tar.gz
Newest version on remote site is 20051212, local version is 1.1.5
 => Newer version available from
    http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/spcaview-20051212.tar.gz
-- Scan finished

* debian/rules
  - remove template header
  - remove commented dh_ tools call in binary-common target

* misc stuff
  - lintian warning: you have to provide a (minimal) manpage for every
program in the package:

W: spcaview: binary-without-manpage spcacat
W: spcaview: binary-without-manpage spcaserv

  - what are these files: spcaview-doc.{docs,install} ? would you like
to create a separate doc  package ?

  - why did you leave files {pre,post}{inst,rm} ? they are empy, so
you can remove them

I think for the first review this is enought... :)

Good luck in finding a sponsor (I'm not a DD, so cant upload)

Kind Regards,
Sandro

--
Sandro Tosi (aka Morpheus, matrixhasu)