Re: Need help with kernel module building

Marc Haber wrote:
> Which component of the build process is supposed to handle the control
> file generation

module-assistant. You will see that debian/rules includes some files
from /usr/share/modass. The documentation for module-assistant has the
details.

> as I suppose that the module build process actually
> needs a control and a control.modules file, right?

For example, let's say that I'm packaging a module named "foo", with source
package name "foo". This is described by a control file as usual. It builds
a binary package called "foo-source", which essentially only contains an
archive of the module sources in /usr/src/foo.tar.bz2. The actual module is
built from the contents of that archive. The control.modules.in file is
processed by the module-assistant rules during module build, and renamed
to "control" (by replacing placeholders with the actual kernel version).
This generated control file describes the resulting binary module package
foo-module-${KVERS}.

Marcus