Need help with kernel module building

Hi,

I am trying to understand the cooperation of kernel sources, kernel
image, kernel-package and module-assistant and am kind of at a loss
here.

In the debian/ directory of the module sources, I find strange
combinations of control, control.in, control.modules and
control.modules.in. In one package, I have also found a
control.modules.in.in file.

In debian/rules, there is usually no code handling the control files.
Which component of the build process is supposed to handle the control
file generation as I suppose that the module build process actually
needs a control and a control.modules file, right?

Greetings
Marc