Re: Packaging automation - separation of 'debian/' directory

On Thursday 07 September 2006 09:42, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:
> > That's what I do for releases as well.  For normal testing builds though
> > (that's to see if the package builds and works without planning a
> > release), creating a tarball and unpacking it first is too much work
> > IMO.  So I wrote a script to do these things for me.  In fact, it does
> > everything in $TMPDIR, so the working directory is completely untouched.
> > You can find the script here[1].  There's also an attempt to auto-create
> > a ${packagename}-dbg package including debugging symbols, but it's a bit
> > fragile.
>
> One simple thing you can do if you don't want to use a script is just make
> native packages for your testing builds.  It doesn't hurt anything beyond
> giving you some additional lintian warnings to expect, provided that you
> remember to do it the other way for the final build.

Sounds fine. FWIW, I've heard rumors from various upstreams which have debian/
in their trunk (or wherever the latest developments resides) that they have
been bashed by other distro users to accept their packaging files too,
i.e. 'why the debian should be favoritized/advertised this way'. Having to
support a great number of packaging files for different packaging systems,
upstream prefers to remove them all, and possibly manage their favorite
packaging system files in a separate repo or branch, which is a good thing
imho.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB