Re: Packaging automation - separation of 'debian/' directory

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:

> That's what I do for releases as well.  For normal testing builds though
> (that's to see if the package builds and works without planning a
> release), creating a tarball and unpacking it first is too much work
> IMO.  So I wrote a script to do these things for me.  In fact, it does
> everything in $TMPDIR, so the working directory is completely untouched.
> You can find the script here[1].  There's also an attempt to auto-create
> a ${packagename}-dbg package including debugging symbols, but it's a bit
> fragile.

One simple thing you can do if you don't want to use a script is just make
native packages for your testing builds.  It doesn't hurt anything beyond
giving you some additional lintian warnings to expect, provided that you
remember to do it the other way for the final build.

That's what I do, and then I have a script that pulls the latest release,
untars it, checks out the debian directory, and uses pbuilder to build the
final packages.