Re: Openssl/gnutls linking

On Friday 01 September 2006 07:13, Patrick Ruckstuhl wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> my packages aria2 (can be found on http://mentors.debian.net) was
> rejected because it links against openssl. aria2 can either link
> against gnutls or openssl and I thought I had everything set up that
> it links against gnutls, on my local machine I have both libssl-dev
> and libgnutls-dev and it correctly links against libgnutls-dev
>
> the build-depends of the package are
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), autotools-dev, libgnutls-dev,
> libgcrypt-dev, libxml2-dev, libares-dev
>
> and my built package has this dependencies
> Depends: libares0, libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.0),
> libgcrypt11 (>= 1.2.2), libgnutls13 (>= 1.4.0-0), libgpg-error0 (>=
> 1.2), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.0), libxml2 (>= 2.6.26)
>

> what could be the problem?

You are probably right that gnutls is picked up first or prefered over openssl
during the build process, but since configure --help claims that both are
enabled by default:

--with-gnutls              use gnutls library if installed. Default: yes
--with-openssl             use openssl library if installed. Default: yes

and you didn't explicitely disable openssl linkage in your debian/rules, then,
you might end up having a bit of 'moving sands' on some polluted build
environments, if openssl if found in say /usr/local/ or something and got
considered by incident. Thus I'd recommend you to disable it explicitely
(--without-openssl), and pass --with-gnutls instead to set your course
straight.

Note, however, that a GPL work could link with openssl if the authors of that
very same GPL'ed work provide so called `openssl exception' (query google or
wikipedia about that). You might want to ping upstream to clarify that in
their readme/install docs. If the work is licensed under LGPL instead, such
openssl exception is not needed.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB