Re: Please tell if you found a sponsor

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 18:59 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> Dear package maintainers...
>
> a sponsor of Debian packages today sent an email to the mentors.debian.net
> support email address and I would like to forward the suggestion here.
> Please tell us if you found a sponsor. I often found myself downloading
> and testing packages from mentors.debian.net and found out too late that
> someone else already sponsored the upload.

I suggest that:

- the maintainer logs on the ITA/ITP that he/she's has prepared a
package for review and upload, and is looking for a sponsor,
- the sponsor logs on the ITA/ITP that he/she's reviewing the package.

That should reduce duplicate effort.

> In my observation there are now many more sponsors than there were two
> years ago. So it is more likely that a package gets looked at by multiple
> sponsors. And all but one may be disappointed. So if you asked here on the
> mailing list please send a followup if a sponsor uploaded your package.
> Same for other channels where you asked for sponsorship (IRC,
> sponsors.debian.net, ...).
>
> If your package was uploaded to mentors.debian.net please remove the
> package immediately after you have successfully been sponsored. We already
> plan to detect uploads automatically and tag a package "sponsored". But
> that's not yet done. So please keep your requests up to date.

Yes, automating things is good.  This could be done very similar to
cleaning "experimental" when a newer package is uploaded to "unstable".
That should reduce errors and reduce overhead manual work.

>  Thanks.
>
> Cheers
>  Christoph
>
> P.S.: I will try to change the subject of RFS here to "[uploaded]" if I
>       sponsor an upload. So others can see a package has been dealt with.
>       Perhaps others can do that, too, so we can see which packages still
>       need sponsorship at a glance.

I think that mailing lists are not a good medium for long-term follow-up
sponsoring efforts.  The ITA/ITP report is better, in my opinion.