Re: RFS: tstat

On Tue August 22 2006 15:47, Andrew Donnellan wrote:

> On 8/23/06, Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> wrote:

> > On Mon August 21 2006 17:37, Charles Plessy wrote:

> > > Last week-end I was told by a DD that the 4-clause BSD licence

> > > was non-free... Do you have any link in the archives which proves

> > > the contrary? This is very interesting for me as I am interested

> > > in bringing to Debian an unofficial package whose software is

> > > under this licence...

> > How a bout a link that reveals the offending clause to be cruft...

> > ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change

> > ...so, it looks like you can simply delete the advertising clause

> > or include a note and the above link to render it ineffective..

> That license change only covers BSD itself and has absolutely no

> effect on this license.

"4-clause BSD license" is what I replied to. Maybe the subject should have changed.

I would expect the change would also apply to software which was broken out of the BSD distribution, or in the very least it would be appropriate to ask the copyright holder(s) of software written originally for BSD (seems like a reasonable assumption to make of anything using a BSD license) if the change is applicable.

- Bruce