Re: How to write a good manpage ?

Marco Bertorello <marco@bertorello.ns0.it> writes:

> I always used help2man to generate a manpage for those packages that
> hasn't one.

> But now, I'm working on a package that has a non useful help output:

> $ gcstar --help
> Usage: /usr/bin/gcstar [[-u|--update [-a|--all] [-c|--collection]
> [-w|--website] [-i|--import] [-e|--export] [-l|--lang]] | [FILE]]

> How can I write a manpage good for debian?

Just to add one more opinion, I always write new man pages in POD and make
Perl do the hard work of converting them to *roff for me.  (Of course, I'm
biased since I maintain Pod::Man.)  It means a build dependency on Perl,
but the POD syntax is very simple and quick to learn.

man perlpod and man pod2man should get you started.  For examples of POD
manual pages, see several of the packages I maintain (remctl, libpam-krb5,
kftgt, etc.)