Re: changelog.Debian.gz as a symbolic link

Székelyi Szabolcs <cc@mail.3d.hu> writes:

> Thank you for the advice. It's correct in this situation, but if the
> -dev package installs API documentation (which is not the case in this
> particular package), this is obviously not the way to go. So the
> question is still on, is it allowed to symlink changelog.Debian.gz?

I'm not sure if it's allowed (my reading of Policy 12.3 says that you can
symlink the whole directory, but I don't see anything that says you can
symlink individual files with Debian significance such as copyright or
changelog.Debian), but regardless I wish you wouldn't do it.  lintian (and
other similar package checking programs) can only check files contained in
the package, and not having the changelog file present in the package
means that various things (NMU consistency, for instance) can't be
checked.  The additional space used by installing a copy of the changelog
with each binary package isn't large.