Re: pgplot5 binary package

* Carlo Segre [Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:43:40 -0500]:

> Hello All:

> I have started to help maintain pgplot5.  It is in non-free but is,
> unfortunately, the only option for many Fortran programs which need to
> plot to and interact with X.  The upstream source is very stable and does
> not change often at all but because of the X.org transition and other
> changes from sarge to etch, it is badly broken and in need of an update.

> I have uploaded a new version for i386 which is pbuilder and lintian clean
> and I have even tested the build on a mips machine that I have in my lab.
> I would like to have the new pgplot5 installed for all architectures but I
> don't the proper protocol.  Do I:

Since nowadays non-free is supposed to be autobuilt, I think the
reasonable thing to do befor #1 or #2 would be to contact the
maintainers of this buildd network to see if pgplot5 needs some manual
pushing so that is "seen" by these autobuildders. See http://buildd.net/.

> 1. request a build and upload on the ports lists?

> 2. build the binary packages myself on the developer-access machines and
>    then upload only the binaries?

> #1 is the easiest but since the package is non-free, I hesitate to ask
> others to do the work.

> If #2 is the right thing to do then I need to find the documentation for
> using the chroots on these machines.  I have looked around in the Debian
> web site for information on this topic but as far as I can see, there is
> no information readily available on how to do this.  Any pointers would be
> appreciated.

There is this tiny bit of information:

When you need some packages installed (eg., build-dependencies of your
package), you normally mail "debian-admin@lists.debian.org" saying which
packages you need, and on which machines and chroots (eg., "g77 in
unstable chroot of vore and merulo"). (Btw, this could be a nice
addition to that section of dev-ref, feel free to file a wishlist bug.)

But this is normally for debugging problems, and for uploads, the
non-free buildd network, or porter uploads (#1), are preferred.

> I have found the pages on porting and using the -B option in
> dpkg-buildpackage but then is it OK to just use dput as usual to upload?

Yes, taking into account my previous paragraph.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org
There may be no I in TEAM, but a M and an E.