how to compile source after I apt-get source it ?

Hi all

I've downloaded the source of tilda package with
mkdir tilda
cd tilda
apt-get source tilda

I've gone ahead and edited a few files there, now I need to compile the binary.
How can I do this "the debian way" ?

Doing a simple ./configure gets me this :
dynamic:~/deb/tilda/tilda-0.09.2$ pwd
dynamic:~/deb/tilda/tilda-0.09.2$ ./configure
checking for PACKAGE... configure: error: Package requirements
(gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0, gthread-2.0, vte) were not met:

No package 'vte' found

This is normal because I probably don't have lib-foo-dev.

So the questions are :

a. How do I know what packages does tilda depends on to compile on my system ?
b. Is there a debian utility that would go and get those packages for me ?

Thank you,

Maxim Vexler

"Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?