Re: RFC: quilt-el

jari.aalto@cante.net (Jari Aalto+mail.linux) wrote:

> * Mon 2006-07-03 Yavor Doganov <yavor AT doganov.org>
>> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:41:12 +0300, Jari Aalto+mail.linux wrote:
>>
>>> Use 3. When the upstream releases new version you can drop the patches.
>>> Using dpatch(1) to manage this is easy
>>
>> Given the name of the package in question, I don't really think that
>> he'd be using dpatch ;-}
>
> :-)
>
> I have found that the duo works best this way:
>
> - init quilt
> - make changes under quilt supervisions
> - when satisfied, convert to dpatch
>
> [ repeat for as many patches as needed ]
>
> I wouldn't use quilt alone, because it is stack based and I mostly try
> to make all patches completely separate from each other.

Well, that only works if you never patch the same file twice, doesn't
it?  Anyway, I would never use dpatch for my main packages,
tetex/texlive.  It's just too slow to copy a 300 MB source tree (or will
it be 600 when I'm working in a subversion checkout?)  or to diff
between two of them just to add a one-line patch.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)