Re: Build depends....?

This one time, at band camp, Mihai Felseghi said:
> Masami Ichikawa wrote:
> >
> > [masami@debian:~]% objdump -p /usr/bin/fluxbox | grep NEEDED
>
>  Thank you for the advice I will try this method.

While that's a good start, it's a conflation of Depends and
build-Depends.  objdump is giving you runtime dependencies on shared
libraries, which are usually related to but not the same as the build
time dependencies.  There is a script in one of the new maintainer
documents that uses strace to look for open() calls in ./configure to
help you figure out build-dependencies.  Another method is to look at
all the #include'd headers your package needs, and figure out where they
come from.  Finally, use something like pbuilder to test your builds
when you think you're close - it will fail if you're missing something.
Also read the build logs from the pbuilder session very carefully to see
if it just disabled an optional feature rather than failed because you
missed something.

Take care,