Re: How to correctly patch without cdbs?

On 2006-06-20, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> It's my understanding that test ! is more portable than ! test (same
>> for [ !).
>
> I would be very surprised to know why.

The autoconf manual, section 10.10 "Limitations of Shell Builtins" (in
the CVS HEAD version at least) says:

`!'
     The Unix version 7 shell did not support negating the exit status
     of commands with `!', and this feature is still absent from more
     modern shells (e.g., Solaris `/bin/sh').  [...]

So the answer these days seems to be "Solaris".  It's certainly still
true on the sourceforge box which is running Solaris 2.9.

Cheers,
    Olly