sponsored NMU (Re: How can a non-DD fix broken packages?)

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 02:37:56PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> That is a Serious bug, and is a FTBFS, so AIUI, it is RC. So it can be
> filex in a NMU. However, According the the Developer's reference, only DD's
> can NMU. If that is true, then sponsored NMU are not allowed. However,
> tradition holds against this, as there have be numerous cases of sponsored
> NMU's. Assuming the DevRef is in error, you should prepepare an NMU,
> following the rules [0], publish the packages someplace public, and send a
> message to this list with a title beginning "[RFS] NMU".
>
> [0] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu

Yes, an NMU can be done by a non-DD working via a sponsor.  I don't
think the docs are in error about this.  I think that large parts of the
docs are older than the concept of sponsoring, and that most docs that
seem to be for DD's also apply for non-DD's working via a sponsor.

 -- Bart Martens <bartm@knars.be>  Tue, 30 May 2006 21:00:57 +0200