Re: RFS: FSlint - File System lint

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 12:41:04PM +0100, P?draig Brady wrote:
> Christoph Haas wrote:
> > Hi, P?draig...
> >
> > you accidentally replies personally to me instead of sending a followup
> > to the mailing list.
>
> sorry.
>
> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 12:06:33PM +0100, P?draig Brady wrote:
> >
> >>build from the extracted tarball directly with:
> >>
> >>dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -tc
> >>
> >>How should I create this source package?
> >

> > I see now. You are the actual developer of fslint. Usually there is the
> > (upstream) developer and a Debian developer is doing the packaging work.
> > If the upstream provides a debian/ package that has caused a lot of
> > trouble for me.
>
> OK I can remove the upstream one when it gets integrated
> in case there is any confusion.
>
> > Usually there is just the upstream tarball and someone
> > maintains the debian/ directory seperately. That way you can always see
> > what special things have been done in the Debian package because a
> > seperate diff.gz lists them.
>
> OK. I presume one can have a blank debian directory?
Do you mean an empty .diff, or an empty directory in the sourceball,
with the files created in the .diff?  dpkg-source knows to create
./debian/, so it doesn't have to be in the sourceball.

> > If you like to maintain the package yourself that'll probably not be a
> > problem either. Just not very common.
>
> I can do that. Even though I'm a debian newbie
> the package is quite standard.
>
> What do I need to do exactly?
> As far as I can see you want me to provide:
>
> fslint_2.15-1.dsc
> fslint_2.15-1.orig.tar.gz
> fslint_2.15-1.diff.gz
Yea, this is the "source package".  You could have an empty .diff.gz,
or maintain the Debian patch as a separate project.  IMO it is only
useful to separate "the changes that Debian made", and when there same
person wrote the diff.gz as the upstream source, there's no
distinction.  So the only arguments for having debian/ in the .diff.gz
and not in the sourceball are:

  . more conventional
  . not confusing other people using other distributions
  . allowing new Debian revisions without bumping the version for the
    non-Debian source

Justin