Re: A list of common gotchas in Debian packaging

Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> wrote:

> I disagree with comments about removing the lines from from
> debian/rules (debhelper calls that are unused). This file is used by
> the maintainer of the package and he knows best what is the most
> effective way to organize his works.

IME, it is not very frequent to add dh_lines to a working rules file.
And it takes just a few seconds to figure out where to put them,
assuming you know what you are doing. I think these seconds are worth
spending:

  1. They give you the occasion to actually *think* about what you are
     doing, instead of blindly following a recipe.

  2. They make the rules file much more readable : it shows what is
     being done; no more, no less.

--
Florent