Re: How can I simply test building a package with a different compiler version?

Hallo dam,

> In case your package uses auto*, then configure script most probably
> honours CC, CXX, CPP and CXXPP environment variables. Put
>  # Force usage of 4.1
>  export CC=gcc-4.1
>  export CXX=g++-4.1
>  export CPP=cpp-4.1
>  export CXXPP=cpp-4.1
> before invoking configure and you should be fine.

The package at least uses make...
The Makefile looks like this:
-----
# Names of executables
AS = gas
AR = ar
LD = ld
ZIP = zip
CXX = g++

[...]

# Flags for the GNU C compiler
override CFLAGS += -DLINUX -I$(INCDIR) -fno-implicit-templates -DEXPLICIT_TEMPLATES

[...]

# Implicit rules

.c.o:
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $<

.cc.o:
	$(CXX) $(CFLAGS) -c $<

[...]

all:	$(LIB) $(OBJS)
	$(CXX) -o $@ $(OBJS) $(ACOBJ) $(LIB) -lncurses

----

I exported the mentioned environment variables and builded the package with
svn-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
However, the output looks like this:
g++ -g -Wall -O2 -Wno-deprecated -DLINUX -fno-implicit-templates -DEXPLICIT_TEMPLATES -DUSR_SHARE_PATH -c bitset.cc
g++ -g -Wall -O2 -Wno-deprecated -DLINUX -fno-implicit-templates -DEXPLICIT_TEMPLATES -DUSR_SHARE_PATH -c charset.cc
g++ -g -Wall -O2 -Wno-deprecated -DLINUX -fno-implicit-templates -DEXPLICIT_TEMPLATES -DUSR_SHARE_PATH -c charstrm.cc

Shouldn't it be g++-4.1 -g -Wall ...?

My suspicion is that the assigned executable names in the Makefile overrides the environment variables.
Is this correct? If yes, how can I prevent that?
Moreover, can the Makefile be made more 'elegant'?

Looking forward reading your suggestions,
Fabian