Keeping previous changelogs

Dear Mentors,

I have one question about changelog handling in debian packages.

I'm building a new source package with multiple sub-packages.
The sub-packages, however, were formerly built separately as
single sources, despite the fact that they were from the same
upstream source, due to some licensing problem.

And now the licensing problem is solved upstream. So, I wish
to build them from a single source. All seem to be doing well,
except for one little point: how to handle the changelog.Debian.

Certainly, the previous changelogs of the sub-packages should
be kept. But now there is only one changelog for the new package.

I'm thinking about having the new package's changelog been
started as a fresh new one, and keeping each sub-package's
previous changelog as "changelog-preX.Y.Z.Debian.gz".

Is this OK according to Debian policy? Or is there other
recommended way?

Thank you,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan