Re: building rpms on debian system?

Ek Zindagoi wrote:
>  I would like to build rpms on a debian system for use on a redhat
> system. Can I do that on a debian system ?
>
>  Even if I wanted to install the RPM on a debain system, can I run the
> rpmbuild -bb command on a debian system and successfully build an RPM

You can certainly build them - I have done so in the past. I'm not sure
how well the shared-library dependencies are handled though, you might
find that your desired RPM-based distribution ships with shared
libraries of different versions that you'd prefer to depend on. That
shouldn't be a problem if you expect all your users to have up-to-date
systems, though. It might also not be a problem at all - I have only
done a very small amount of RPM packaging on my Debian system.

You should definitely not install the resulting binary RPM on Debian, of
course (at the very least convert it to .deb with alien). The rpm and
rpmbuild binaries are part of the 'rpm' package.

-Ted