Re: W: A binary links against a library it does not use symbols from

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:18:23PM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> W: winefish; A binary links against a library it does not use symbols from
>  This package contains a binary that links against a library that is
>  not in the Depends line. This may also be a bug in the library which
>  does not have a shlibs file.
>
> My problem: How can I determine the library the warning is about? I
> build the package in my environment and in a pbuilder environment. Both
> show the same 'Depends:' line. And there is no FTBFS. So how could I
> determine the library? There are IIRC graphical tools to build a diagram
> with dependencies for a package, right? This could be one way. Do you
> know a better way?

ldd will tell you what libraries a binary links against; it's just a matter
of matching that list against your Depends: line and seeing what's missing.
You could fix the problem by adding an entry for the package by hand to your
Depends line, but you're better off looking at the package that provides
the library and working out why it's missing a shlibs file (if it is), or
why it's otherwise not being picked up by dh_shlibdeps.

- Matt