Re: RFS: checkinstall

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:48:59PM -0400, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > The accepted practice is to have a symlink in /usr (or wherever) which
> > points to the relevant path in /etc.  That way, the program doesn't
> > have to be hacked, if thats complicated, and users can edit whichever
> > path they want (assuming their editor doesn't break the link).
> But the symlink would be located at /usr/local, which can't be written by
> packages.
You're allowed to create empty directories in /usr/local/*/, but that
is all (9.1.2.).  Users should know or be able to figure out that the
configuration files which a package, by default, installs to
/usr/local/ might be in /usr/ instead, otherwise every package would
need a README.Debian that documented this :)

> > This is even mentioned in policy.
> Where is that mentioned? I can't find it.
10.7.2.

Justin