Re: RFS: checkinstall

On Fri, April 7, 2006 23:24, Felipe Sateler wrote:
>> I think that Frank meant to say that if the documentation mentions some
>>  place for configuration files, then you should change that part of the
>>  documentation instead of providing a separate file.

> I don't think so. AFAIK the package should modify the original files as
> little as possible.

I'm not sure where you got that information, because it's not really true.
Many Debian packages include heavily patched versions of upstream
software. Whether this is right can only be decided on a case-by-case
basis.

For this specific case: it's definately good to modify upstream to change
things that are Debian specific. You probably change the config file path
in the source, for example. If you do that, why shouldn't you patch the
documentation aswell? What use is it to provide incorrect information to
the end user only to correct it in some other file?

Thijs