Re: Problem with debuild and changelog

On 4/12/06, Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer@web.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First posting and
> i need a little help from friends;-)
>
> I have a package which is almost "debian ready", the debian dir exist
> and necessary files in there.
>
> But there is no changelog, only a changelog.in as a template.

the debian/changelog should be maintained by hand, there is no such
thing as a generated debian/changelog (which is not broken).

> A run of debuild at this moment fails, cause there is no changelog. OK
>
> Then i run autogen.sh which builds a changelog from the above template. Or i
> create a new with dch --create foo bar

autogen does not have to do with debian/changelog; dch is fine (did
you used dh_make? is easier that way)

> If then build only the binarys with:
> debuild binary
> it's all ok.

I wonder how is that possible

> Not ok is if i wish to build also the source packages.
> If i run debuild without parameters (or dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
> -rfakeroot) then the generated changelog is deleted by a process of
> dh_clean and debuild bleats about missing changelog (which is deleted by
> himself)

the debian/rules makefile should not act upon the debian directory,
least on the debian/changelog (except the clean target which should
only delete the package build directory debian/<packagage>), but
should make changes to the package itself (if needed - e.g. a patch is
needed)

> I've googled a lot but never found a solution. Neither in devscripts doc
> or new maintainer guide.

NO TOOL SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE THE CHANGELOG AT BUILD TIME

> At the moment i found the reason for this:

only one, you use a broken model

> Anyone who could point me to the right way?

dh_make and change the templates by hand; erase the ones you don't
need (don't worry, debhelper has the templates strored and should be
easy to add them when you will need them in the future)

--
Regards,
EddyP