Re: How to build packages from tarballs without makefiles

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
David Liontooth wrote:
I occasionally run into tarballs without a makefile. How do I turn those
into Debian packages?

Here's an example -- otk_lib from http://otk.sourceforge.net/.

# tar zxvf otk_lib_0.47.tgz
otk_lib/gadget_lib.c
otk_lib/letter2vector2.c
otk_lib/otk_lib.c
otk_lib/Readme.txt
otk_lib/gadget_lib.h
otk_lib/otk_lib.h

I rename the directory libotk-0.47, enter it, and run dh_make -s,
getting "Currently there is no top level Makefile." The Readme.txt says

/* To Compile:   Directive in code should detect environment and do the
right thing.    */
/* Unix/Linux: */
/*        cc -O -c -I/usr/X11R6/include otk_lib.c -o
otk.o                              */
/*    Link with:    -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext
-lX11                                       */

Do I put these into debian/rules? Where?

I was hoping I could make a few changes and run fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage.

Dave

I would just put those into the debian/rules.  There is not enough there
to justify a full-blown makefile in my mind.
OK, that's good news, but I need a bit more help -- where do I add them to rules?

   CFLAGS = -Wall -g

Can I add the "Link with" line to give

  CFLAGS = -Wall -g -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11

Does that work? What about

-O -c -I/usr/X11R6/include otk_lib.c -o

Under "# Add here commands to compile the package." I just have
       $(MAKE)

I don't know the syntax here.

Dave