Re: How to build packages from tarballs without makefiles

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, David Liontooth wrote:

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

I would just put those into the debian/rules.  There is not enough there
to justify a full-blown makefile in my mind.

OK, that's good news, but I need a bit more help -- where do I add them to rules?

  CFLAGS = -Wall -g

Can I add the "Link with" line to give

 CFLAGS = -Wall -g -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lXext -lX11

Does that work? What about

-O -c -I/usr/X11R6/include otk_lib.c -o

Under "# Add here commands to compile the package." I just have
      $(MAKE)

Since there is no Makefile, you will need to explicitly replace the $(MAKE) with the gcc or cc command with the options you want. In the "install" section, again, you will need to replace the $(MAKE) install with individual install commands to put the libraries where they are supposed to go.

BTW, a library package may not be the best thing to learn packaging. A package which produces a single executable is much easier.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics