Re: first package pcftisio

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 02:22:05PM +0100, Cedric BRINER wrote:
> And I still have some questions
>
>  - Do you know in which sections shall I put this package which is related
>  to python, astronomy ? (how should I proceed to know in which section to
>  put it)

Programs which happen to be written in python don't belong in the python
section.  Only things which are interesting for people who use python should
be there.  That is mostly libraries which can be used by python programs.

In general, it is a problem that a package can be in only one section.  Some
packages fit in more than one.  You have to choose the one where it fits best.

>  - After trying to make the debian source with the help of the book:"the
> Debian System". I'm getting some errors after doing:
> dpkg-source -b python-cfitsio-0.99.2/
>    dpkg-source: building python-cfitsio using existing python-cfitsio_0.99.2.orig.tar.gz
>    dpkg-source: building python-cfitsio in python-cfitsio_0.99.2-1.diff.gz
>    dpkg-source: cannot represent change to debian/python-cfitsio/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/pcfitsio.so: binary file contents changed
<much more like this one>

When building a package, the source tree must be clean.  Usually, the cleaning
is done automatically (that is, fakeroot debian/rules clean is called).  There
are some options:
- You used a build method which didn't include cleaning.  I find this
  unlikely.
- Your clean target doesn't properly clean up.  In particular, it doesn't call
  dh_clean.
- You had some packages in your control file before which aren't there
  anymore, so dh_clean doesn't remove the debian/packagename directories.  In
  that case, you need to do this by hand.

Actually, "doing it by hand" will work anyway.  Just call "fakeroot
debian/rules clean", then remove all files and directories from the tree (in
particular debian/) that shouldn't be there, then build.  When you call
debuild, you don't need to do all that (unless you have changes in the tree
which shouldn't be there.)

Thanks,
Bas