Re: Native package or not?

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [060213 00:56]:
> patch is capable of deleting files and even subdirectories when the diff
> shows that all the lines in a file are removed. The only limitation I
> know of is that a patch cannot represent the deletion of an empty file,
> and it cannot represent removing all lines in a file while leaving it
> empty.

Patch is capable (unless someone set POSIXLY_CORRECTLY and forget -E),
but dpkg-source -b is not a normal diff (to be more correctly, no
diff -N):
mkdir ab-1.orig
mkdir ab-1.orig/debian
echo "blub" > ab-1.orig/debian/test
mkdir ab-1
cd ab-1
mkdir debian
cat > debian/changelog <<EOF
ab (1) nowhere; urgency=low

  * blub

 -- me <me@here>  `LC_ALL=C date -R`
EOF
cat > debian/control <<EOF
Source: ab
Section: utils
Maintainer: me <me@here>
Standards-Version: 0

Package: nothing
Architecture: abacus
EOF
cd ..
dpkg-source -b ab-1 ab-1.orig
zgrep compat ab_1.diff.gz || echo "Was not deleted"

> > If you have other users
> > of your package, which use other distributions than Debian, they might
> > see a new version of your sources, though you only fixed some mistakes
> > in the debian directory. With non-native packages those only results in
> > a new .diff.gz.
>
> That is a very weak argument. In general any change made to a source
> tarball may only be of interest to some subset of the users, there's no
> real reason to single out the debian directory here.

Well, I'm much in favor of keeping all stuff out that is not needed for
someone installing from source. (That still lumps all architectures
together, but somewhere you have to draw a line artificially, putting
everything in the Release tarball is just another choice, but not less
artifical, just a better or worse depending on your pov). And keep
everything distribution specific out or in extra files.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link