Re: non-PIC problem

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:28:15PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

> I'm trying to get synfig (http://www.synfig.com) into debian, and there
> is one last issue before I start harassing my sponsors/co-maintainers to
> upload it.

> Lintian complains about shlib-with-non-pic-code on one of the plugins,
> and the main lib. I think the problem with the plugin is that it
> statically links against libavcodec-dev and libavformat-dev (which don't
> have associated shared libraries). Would it be ok to ignore/override
> this error for this plugin?

No, it would not.  libavformat-dev/libavcodec-dev are arch: any; on the
majority of our architectures, linking non-PIC code into a shlib *will*
cause problems of one sort or another.  The proper procedure is to request a
_pic.a library from the ffmpeg maintainer that you can link against.

> I've searched the build logs and the only object file compiled without
> -fPIC is the embedded copy of libltdl statically linked into the
> library. Does anyone have any advice for how to fix this?

Link against the system libltdl instead of using a redundant bundled copy.
The unixodbc package in sarge is an example of this, IIRC.

> Is this going to require autoconf/automake changes?

Yes, it should.  (Probably only autoconf changes.)

> What solution should I pursue with upstream that will allow them to keep
> the libltdl copy for platforms where it is needed?

I've never understood why people feel the need to bundle libltdl in their
sources instead of just telling users to download & install it as a
build-dependency. <shrug>