Re: Lintian Warnings and Modifying Upstream Source

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 07:46:58AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-01-21 13:44:28, schrieb Russ Allbery:
>
> > The error message isn't about its presence in the source package but
> > rather its presence in the generated binary package.  In general, in
> > Debian, you should never install additional copies of the GPL, the LGPL,
> > or other common licenses; instead, just refer the user to the copy that
> > already ships with Debian in /usr/share/common-licenses.
>
> If I find Packages which include the Licence, I should file a bugreport
> against the package?  If YES, I will file immediatly arround 30 of them.
Thats not the right way of doing it :/  This is "mass bug filing" and
riles people sometimes :)

Lintian is the "source" of being able to find the problems, and
lintian is already run automatically; check the p.q.debian.org site
and also http://lintian.debian.org/reports/tags.html and, in
particular, extra-license-file (163 packages, 308 tags):
  http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Textra-license-file.html.

So it is a waste of time and bugs to file them, since interested
maintainers can get this information anyway, even if they don't run
lintian themselves.  There's a wishlist bug, I believe, about showing
the count of lintian [I] and [W] outputs directly on the QA page; oh
here it is <http://bugs.debian.org/243729>.

--
Clear skies,
Justin