Re: debian package installation - setting environment

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 07:58 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:40:12PM +0200, Ivars Strazdins wrote:
> > Sam Morris wrote:
> > > it should really live in /usr/lib/<package name>. If the use of /opt
> > > is hard coded into the package then, well, that sucks. :)
> >
> > It is hard coded into management decision to which I really have no
> > access whatsoever.
> >
> > > see <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.9> for
> > > details.
> >
> > Thanks, I also thought I should go this way.
> > But what to do with $PATH ?:(
>
> Wrappers in /usr/bin.  If there is a Management Decree that No Package File
> Will Be Outside /opt, then you're screwed unless you can mandate the use of
> /bin/bash, and ship a modified /etc/profile.

Not at all.  By default, PAM will read /etc/environment and include
those variables in every session, regardless of which shell it uses.
Still, forcibly modifying the default path in an installation script is
Bad and Wrong.

> Time to re-read "How To Win Friends And Influence People", and go to work on
> the management twonks making your life difficult.

There is that...

There are complete indices of the files installed by packages in the
Debian archive, so when creating a new package it's possible to check
for and avoid collisions with existing ones.  If a package is never
going to be part of the Debian archive (perhaps because it's not freely
redistributable), there's no such mechanism.  In this case it seems to
me to be reasonable to install most of its files under /opt/$vendor.  I
don't know what I would do about including its binaries in the path
though.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.