Re: debian package installation - setting environment

Ivars Strazdins wrote:
how do I set/change system wide environment variables when installing package?

The package should go to /opt/<packagename>. I've been reading a lot of fighting about /opt for packages. Anyway, this seem to be the right place for 3rd party packages. Also, I cannot change this decision anyway :(

If this is a package for your own use, this doesn't really matter, but it should really live in /usr/lib/<package name>. If the use of /opt is hard coded into the package then, well, that sucks. :)

So, I need at least to add /opt/<package>/bin to $PATH + maybe setting some other environment variables (creating a wrapper script in $PATH is another possibility). How do I do this?

Policy says you should create a wrapper script, and gives an example; see <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.9> for details.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078